Monday, August 18, 2008

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall - or Not?!

My day today, literally began with a bang! I was actually happy to be up early, getting breakfast ready and making lunches ( I know this feeling will soon pass, so I was enjoying it!) I had just finished the last lunch kit and was talking to Kitty at about 8:10 when a very loud crash, bang boom occurred; not once, twice or thrice but about 27 to be exact. Jack came running into the kitchen where I was holding onto Kitty shaking. I now know that in the midst of a crisis I do not flee, I freeze. I put up the hand that wasn't around Kitty and asked Jack to stop, so that we could make sure that the noise was finally over.

I made sure we were all okay and we were and then we went to investigate. We started for my office/laundry room as that was were the noise had seemed to come from. We stood with our jaws open as we saw - NOTHING. It took a few seconds to register that everything was perfectly normal. What had made all of that horrible racket? All of sudden, Jack piped up, "Mom, I know what it was." I said, "What do you think, Jack?" "Your mirror," he replied.

Sure enough we backed out of the office and shifted slightly to our left and there was my beautiful mirror leaning up against my dining room table with glass everywhere. The kids and I looked at it dumbfounded and said a lot of "what ifs". We went to wake up Dennis and tell him what happened and inspite of the mess I still had to get them to French camp by 9:00!

Dennis and I left the clean-up until later in the day and actually made quite short work of it. We have remounted the frame on the wall, sans mirror and we'll decide what to do later. The kids would like to fill it with photos, I have thought of gluing a mirror to the wall itself and then placing the frame around it and I believe Dennis would like it restored. I'll let you know what we decide!!

post signature

1 comment:

Linsey said...

oh no!!! How crazy. I know you loved that mirror. Glad you guys weren't eating at the dinning room table!