Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 1 of Amazing New York City - REALLY!!!

It is hard to believe that I left for NYC two weeks ago today; where has the time gone...? Thank you for your patience and standing by while I attended to two of my grandsons for a week, my sister and my niece, a son and two more grandsons for a weekend - plus got the three babes ready for a week of camp! I must say I have been enjoying my quiet moments over the past three days, but enough is enough...on with the blog!

We arrived in NYC on July 23, 2008. Our morning started off perfect with us dropping off Jack, Kitty and Ali with my cousin Tina, Ali's Godmommy. They were in the best possible hands and we were on our way by 9:15 a.m.

After driving around DFW looking for a longer term parking place and finally finding one, I received an automated message from American Airlines saying that our flight had been cancelled - Not kidding!!! I called the 800 number from our shuttle van to the terminal and honestly had us re-booked by the time we reached the building. It was going to mean an hour and a half delay in departing, but the just meant we had time for breakfast! Well, it turned out to be lunch because it was after 10 a.m. at this point and everyone knows no one easts breakfast later than 10 a.m. So, a chicken ceasar for Dennis and a spicy chicken and rice pilaf for me.

We boarded our new flight on time and then sat on the runway for an hour. We got put in a holding pattern over Pittsburgh, PA due to weather in New York and to top it off were then told that we couldn't land at our designated airport because they had closed it due to weather - egads! Our pilot persevered as did we and kudos to him we actually landed at La Guardia :-)

Of course, we had dinner reservations for 6:30 p.m. (we were supposed to arrive in NYC at 3:00), so once we had collected our bags and caught a cab - hmmm, no rain was in site or wet ground to indicate it had rained - our cab guy said it must have been raining high up above us and just never made it to the ground - good theory, eh?! Anyhoo, we get to the hotel fairly quickly in relative terms, get checked in and have a half hour until dinner. We get unpacked, freshen up and hit the streets at Broadway and 7th. Crazy!!!

Our dinner was amazing at Amalia. It was NYC Restaurant week and we were able to take advantage of a prix fixe menu of three courses for $30. My cocktail, an Au Pear, was not included in the set price and was $16.50 all by itself - it was super yummy, but not $16.50 yummy actually. We enjoyed our meal there with great service and food. The waitress even overheard Dennis saying something about my birthday and she fancied up my dessert - no candles thank goodness!

We leisurely walked back to our home away from home - the wonderful Marriott Marquis - and took in all the sites and sounds New York City has to offer. I love this place; the energy, the excitement, the smells, even the people. What a special place to spend my 40th. I loved it!!!!

The view from our room on the 28th floor!



My hubby at Amalia
My lovely pre-birthday dessert

Times Square, NYC, New York - July 23, 2008!



We love Marriott! It has always provided Dennis and I a home away from home no matter where we land. Our room was beautiful and of course, we were right in the heart of Times Square and didn't miss a moment of the action.





post signature

No comments: